[pct-l] Minimum pack size/volume

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Wed Oct 28 12:17:36 CDT 2009

On Oct 28, 2009, at 12:39 PM, Thomas Ricks wrote:
> Please address minimum pack size/volume for a pct hike thru.  My
> base weight is approximately 10 lbs.  I am looking at the GG Gorilla
> with 2800 ci (46L).  A little small but the other features are very
> attractive.  I know the Gorilla has been used for sections of the
> pct but am unsure if used for the entire length.

IMHO, the most difficult points on the PCT for pack capacity are
leaving Mojave and leaving Kennedy Meadows.

When you leave Mojave you'll need 6-7 days of food to get to KM (if
you don't resupply at Walker Pass) and you'll need lots of water to
get you to Golden Oak Spring (18-26 miles depending on which road
crossing you start from).  In a dry year, Golden Oak might be
unreliable in which case you need to get to Robin Bird.  I don't have
the data book in front of me but I think Robin Bird is 32+ miles from
Mojave.

Out of Kennedy Meadows you don't have to worry about water as much but
you'll have a bear canister, possibly an ice axe, and 6-7 days of food
(Independence) or 10-11 days of food (VVR).

If your gear selection works for those two situations, you're all set.

Gary Wright (Radar)