[pct-l] Minimum pack size/volume

Julian Plamann julian at amity.be
Wed Oct 28 12:23:53 CDT 2009

I found that with low-volume gear, the 3200 cubic inches of my Jam2 pack was
just the right amount to allow some flexibility with longer resupply
stretches. My base weight was 10lbs and 90% of the time I could have easily
gotten away with 2800ci or less, but those extra 400 cubic inches would have
been hard to do without carrying 9 days of food and a bearvault through the
high sierra.

I've been looking at the GG Gorilla as well for the CDT and it's unfortunate
that the pack isn't slightly higher volume, because other than that it
honestly looks like the best designed lightweight thru-hike pack I've seen
anywhere. I'd say strongly consider using the bag anyway and simply using
the little 3-4 day size bearvault for the Sierra just to play the game with
rangers and go out at Kearsarge so you don't have to carry as much. If I do
the trail again, that's what I'll be doing.

julian