[pct-l] Black Bear

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Fri Oct 30 10:12:15 CDT 2009

I was in my tent near Deception Pass in Washington.  I was half asleep
and really tired  from a long day.  I heard typical sounds of a bear
snufling and grubbing - really close, lilke 20' or 30' away.  I got all
tense and rigid.  My eyes were closed and I strained to my utmost to
hear/place the bear.

All of a sudden I found myself up the ridge behind my tent and the
bear.  I was looking down from behind the bear and could see him yanking
on a log, and periodically gazing down at my tent.  This "out-of-body"
experience lasted for a bit of time and I relaxed and was back in my tent.

 From that moment on I realized that I am part of the wilderness
environment that all animals live in.  I saw that all my fear came from
ignorance and imagination.  The bear grubbing monitored me in my tent
and went about his business.  Most of what fear I felt about being alone
in the wilderness simply disappeared, and now I'm much more connected to
the world through which I"m walking, sitting and sleeping.

That and realizing that outside of national parks bears are hunted and
look at us as predators.  In national parks we're potential food sources
-  but it isn't about us as persons - it's about our food.

I've hiked in the Absorokas in Wyoming where grizzlies are
"everywhere."  I've met guys, one of whom was a summer backcountry
ranger for 15 years, who said they wouldn't go up into that part of the
world without a rifle within reach, and a big pistol strapped to their
body.  Our bear bells were idiotic to them - hiking without protection
was just plain asking to be grizzly food.  Of course we never saw a
grizzly, although we saw lots and lots of six to eight inch wide paw
prints on the trail.  Singing and bear bells - lots of ants go marching
and other songs...

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD