[pct-l] Black Bear

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Oct 30 11:15:18 CDT 2009

Good morning, Diane,

I certainly agree.  From a strictly practical standpoint, .44 Mag. revolvers
weigh about 50 oz.  An average holster weighs about 8 oz. w/o a belt.  The
cartridges weigh about .75 oz. each.  If a person carried the gun, the
holster, and 12 cartridges the total would be 67.0 oz. – almost 4.2 lbs. –
while my bear ‘can only weighs 44.4 oz.

Bear ‘can protection is “automatic”:  Just set it out, forget it, and get a
good night’s sleep.  To protect one’s self with a gun it’s necessary to stay
alert all night – even while asleep.  Very few people could hit a circus
tent with a .44 Magnum, and probably not even that in the dark and when
excited.

Besides, the only places were black bears are a problem are in the Sierras’
National Parks where guns are illegal anyway.

Steel-Eye
Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09