[pct-l] Bathing on the trail

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Tue Sep 1 00:43:26 CDT 2009

On Sep 1, 2009, at 1:04 AM, CRYSTAL NEZGODA wrote:

> My trail buddy has decided not to hike with me because of bathing
> conserns... I really don't mind being dirty for long periods of time
> but for
> him its a deal breaker, what are some of your experiences with
> bathing on
> the pct, spcifically section 1 and 2

I think a certain amount of tolerance for hiker 'funk' is required
on any multi-day backpack.  That being said, here are some strategies
for minimizing the funk:

-- have sleeping clothes that are different than your hiking clothes
-- use a bag liner to keep your sleeping bag clean
-- take a 'sponge' bath when possible at the end of the day
-- use moist travel/baby wipes to clean up at the end of the day
-- jump in creeks and lakes when possible

When I reach camp for the day, I try to switch out of my stinky
hiking clothes ASAP.  I carry a light pair of running shorts to
wear around camp and/or while sleeping. These are also useful when
doing laundry in town.  A pair of socks that are only used in camp
also helps.

I carry gold bond foot power with me while hiking and use it on my
feet at most breaks. It doubles as a quick deodorant before trying
to yogi a ride into town.

Gary Wright (Radar)