[pct-l] 10 top Winners

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Tue Sep 1 16:17:49 CDT 2009

On Sep 1, 2009, at 4:56 PM, Erik The Black wrote:

> 2) Remove the word "comfort" from your vocabulary. It doesn't exist
> on a
> thru-hike. Pain and hunger will be your constant companion, but
> you'll get
> used to it.

I have to disagree with this one. I had times when I was in pain or
hungry
or uncomfortable but certainly not 'constantly'.  I would suggest that
if
you are uncomfortable you figure out the cause and fix it:

cold? get warmer clothes
sore feet? different shoes, less miles, slower pace
hungry? better/more food
heavy pack? re-think your gear choices
etc.

> 8) Do at least one shakedown hike of 50 miles or more to test out
> your gear
> before you start (and to make sure you really enjoy hiking if you
> haven't
> done a lot of it before). Thru-hiking is a romantic fantasy, but in
> reality
> it's more like a job (sleep, eat, walk, sleep, eat, walk, sleep,
> eat, walk)

I never think of my thru-hike(s) as analogous to a job. In fact I know
many
repeat offenders who are always looking for ways to get away from a
job and
back on the trail.

Gary Wright (Radar)