[pct-l] Bathing on the trail

Ellen Shopes igellen at comcast.net
Tue Sep 1 19:49:28 CDT 2009

All good ideas so far.  As a long time desert hiker, here's my .02.
1.  Water is for drinking, not washing.  Use anything that's already listed
(baby wipes, baby powder, clean sleeping clothes, etc).  I carry a small
sliver of cake deodorant in a baggie, and apply it with my finger when I
feel really stinky.  Some clothes do hold odors more; experiment with ones
you think you will wear and see if they do.
2.  When you do find water (except at a cache), fill a pot or other small
container with a bit of water and wash (without soap) away from the water
source.  You'll probably still stink, but you'll feel better!
3.  Take an air bath at the end of the day.  Strip down and dry out, and
alot of the odors will decrease.
4.  Have a positive attitude about it...I mean, people deliberately get into
saunas to sweat and 'clear out the toxins'.  Gosh, we get to do days of
this!  (I sweat buckets.  Sweating is an important adaptation to the heat.
Just be prepared for the chafing that all the salt deposits could cause.)
5.  We're all going to stink; I promise not to name you 'Stinky'!
Elderly Ellen