[pct-l] pocketmail setup (not)

Kim Hastings kim at stikine.org
Wed Sep 2 12:48:03 CDT 2009

Also, there are precious few pay phones left within hiking distance of the PCT.  I was told in 2006 that it costs about $50/month to maintain a pay phone, so most have been pulled out as they were not generating sufficient revenue to cover that.

Borrowing other people's phones is fine for an occasional call, but not practical if you are trying to send a lot of email or keep a journal updated on a regular basis.

IMHO, pocketmail is reaching the end of its useful life, for hikers at least.  If email connectivity is your goal, you would do better to select some kind of smart phone that can also do email.

PCT cellphone coverage here: http://www.pctmap.net/cell/

- Twodog

As far as I know, analogue cell phone service is no longer available.
all the carriers have converted to digital (except maybe in a few spots)
and turned off their analogue service by Feb 2008. so carrying an
analogue only cell phone is about as useful as carrying a small brick.

Tortoise

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

--H. L. Mencken

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>

Sent via the WebMail system at stikine.org