[pct-l] pocketmail setup (not)

Matt Thyer matt_thyer at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 2 13:01:38 CDT 2009

I'm going to agree with Kim here,

A small, lightweight cell provider should give you better coverage over the
course of the trail than just about anything else on the market today.  I
carry a SPOT too, but the information you're able to relay to anyone
interested is *very* limited.  Months of "HIROKO wants you to know Matt is
OK" does not an interesting journal make.  I've been messing around with my
Samsung EPIX and a small solar charger and getting really good results.  It
has a lot to offer 1) web browser, 2) word processor, 3) itty bitty
keyboard, 4) camera/video and 5) phone.  Keeping it charged isn't that hard
and the PV panel serves to keep rain out of my pack as well (kind of a
little roof).  I also used this combo when I helped rescue Tazul at the
beginning of August (thereby illustrating its lifeline capabilities).

HTH,

Matt