[pct-l] Nor Cal WATER caches? Trail closure N of Etna?

Clint Kaul clintkaul at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 21:17:12 CDT 2009

Sage,

I just looked at the inciweb.org web site for the "Red Rock Fire"
    http://www.inciweb.org/incident/1845/
It has this to say:
    This will be the last update unless there is a signifigant change
    in the fire status. Curently they are mopping up on the northwest
    flank. All area closures have been lifted. The Etna ICP has been
    moved to the Salmon/Scott Ranger District office. The Forest and
    the Incident Management Teams would like to thank everyone for
    their support.

Very good to hear since I will be SOBO as well in 1.5 weeks.  I am
also interested in the water cache status as well.  I think I remember
seeing someone mentioned the "22" cache was still there but low.

Attached below is an Aug 27 pct-l posting by Dale Combs where
he gives an alternate hiking route from Seiad Valley to Etna Summit
to get around the PCT closure.  Thankfully this isn't needed now that
the fires are out the the closures are lifted.

Cheers,
clint

This might cause SOBOs or late NOBO's to skip the Seiad Valley to Etna
Summit section.

It's possible to avoid the currently closed PCT section by taking
trails that are further to the west, Bear Valley -->Rainy Valley
Creek-->Wooley Creek-->Big Meadows-->Right Hand Fork of the
Salmon-->Shelly Meadows.

You'd have to have US Forest Service map of the Marble Mts you can
purchase at the Happy Camp Ranger Station, Yreka Ranger Station or the
one in Ft Jones.

I did  the southern half of the detour above as one leg of an out and
back section hike a couple weeks ago and it was best hiking of the
summer in remote forest primeval.

Take Risks be Successful,
Comfy Bear