[pct-l] Station Fire Story

tom aterno nitnoid1 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 3 08:53:01 CDT 2009

Another in a host of stories about the Station Fire.

"A fireman picked up and I cried"By Ben Baeder
Pasadena Star-News

ANGELES NATIONAL FOREST - Vicky Stevens heard Angeles Crest Christian Camp
had been burned to the ground by the Station Fire.

The long-time camp secretary decided to call an old payphone next to the
camp's kitchen.

Someone answered.

"A fireman picked up and I cried," Stevens said. "It was just such awesome
news."

The camp up at Angeles Crest Highway and Sulphur Springs Road had been
spared and is now a staging ground for firefighters, Stevens said.

"A bunch of fireman are at the camp now," she said.

"Because the fire is active today, they are setting some back fires down
into Hidden Valley and using the camp as the base. They are using our
showers. They are totally invested."

Every summer, camps of more than 200 children are hosted by Angeles Crest.

The camp was evacuated Saturday, and the approximately 20 full-time
residents are waiting to see what happens.

The fire is near Newcombs Ranch Resaurant, which a little over a mile away
from the camp, Stevens said.

Firefighters told her the restaurant survived, she said.

But she heard Caltrans lost a few houses used by members of its
road-clearing crews.
Source: http://www.pasadena starnews. com/news/ ci_13254862