[pct-l] seam sealing a taped-seam sil-nylon tarp/fly?

Matt Thyer matt_thyer at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 4 15:41:25 CDT 2009

Ron,

Why shouldn't a urethane sealant be reapplied to the nylon tape?  Perhaps
I'm missing something here, but wouldn't the solvent found in the new,
applied sealant simply dissolve the old sealant until it evaporates?  The
seam tape is most likely nylon of some sort and should be chemically
permeable with a polyurethane sealant.   The outer seams, if its exposed,
are a most likely a nylon thread binding the two sheets of silicon
impregnated nylon fabric together.  Shouldn't the outside seam side be
re-impregnated with silicone sealant if the tape leaks?  I suppose the
stitching and tape arrangement probably has a lot to do with this.

BTW, thanks for the gear pages.  Wow!  You've Six Moon has some neat stuff.
I'm super interested in the Gatewood Cape.  Have you proto-typed it using
Cuben Fiber yet?

Matt