[pct-l] JMT in October

559Josh 559josh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 15:48:47 CDT 2009

Nicole,
I JUST arrived in Tahoe from a hike from Lone Pine along the PCT, so
essentially, I did the whole JMT (xcpt the Yos. Valley portion of
course)...the fires made me crave BBQ but weren't an issue as far as hazard
or re-route was concerned...I suppose that if one had allergies or Asthma or
something like that the smoke in some areas was bad enough that there would
have been problems.  The smoke sure made for some BEAUTIFUL Sunsets!!!

Are you planning on doing a NB or SB journey?  If STARTING in Oct, I
personally would highly recommend a NB trip because you'll get the higher
passes out of the way 1st as opposed to passing them sometime 2-4 weeks
later.  Someone mentioned earlier that "they [experts]" are expecting this
to be an El Nino Winter which (if true) would mean that there will be some
heavy weather patterns as far as percip. goes...this would be something to
do some research into as this kind of thing is NOT "common knowledge" even
here where El Nino's take place...so I don't personally know whether this

As far as resupply goes, I think that is HIGHLY dependant on 3 primary
things:
1) How many miles a day will you be hiking
2) What YOUR personal daily Caloric intake requirement is
3) How much total weig& food weight you plan-on or are able to carry

As far as Resupply LOCATIONS goes:

Independence, CA--OPEN

Road's End Hwy 180--Varies (usually open until Nov:
http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/pvfall.htm)

VVR--CLOSED 10/1 or 10/15 (I'm not certain on the date
(www.EdisonLake.com<http://www.edisonlake.com/>
559-259-4000))

MTR--CLOSED (www.MuirTrailRanch.com <http://www.muirtrailranch.com/>)

Reds Meadow--Hmm: PACKAGE resupply method is only avail until ~10/1...but I
can't find any info as to if and or when the General Store Closes for the
year (www.RedsMeadow.com <http://www.redsmeadow.com/>)

Mammoth Lakes, CA--The whole city is OPEN (it's KNOWN as a winter wonderland
for snow sports -- http://mammothlakes.com/)

Tuo. Meadows--VARIES: Closes when HWY-120 Closes (
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm)

Yosemite Valley--OPEN

I hope this helps you out a little bit & I hope you have as great of a time
on your trip as I did on mine!

Josh