[pct-l] How much water????

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Fri Sep 11 15:56:53 CDT 2009

> I am planning a section A and B hike for next season, the green pct book
> says to bring atleast 8 liters of water per day... so I was wondering if you
> guys could tell me about your experience with the desert section and water
Crystal,

Pretty good 'advice' from all responses so far (even if it seems like there is 'some' disagreement)...

What you didn't include in your inquiry for "next season" is WHEN you will be hiking, nor what part of the country you're from -
both can each make a tremendous difference...  Mid April vs. mid May can be like "night and day" for water/NO water...
And someone not used to the low humidity in SoCal might not realize how much body moisture they are actually sweating out...
I believe in the old saying "if you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated" - but that, too, can vary highly amongst individuals...

I didn't see any meteorological mention in any of the responses, either - I don't think anyone on this list can predict what amount
of winter and spring precipitation there will be for "next season"...  That, too, can "make or break" your 'plans'...
So be flexible, watch the weather over winter and into spring - you can always adjust your 'plans' and add extra capacity at the last
moment if it's a 'dry' season before starting your trek - I wouldn't necessarily run out and buy capacity for eight liters just yet...
Start watching AsABat's water report in March, 2010 - some folks, especially the 'locals', get out and start reporting conditions then...

Some mentioned the Rodriguez tank - from AsABat's water report and some journals, I don't know if I would have used it this year -
unless I was desperate (but I've thought water sources were 'okay'/good enough in the past when others didn't - so I'd have to be
there to decide for myself)...

Another good source for water info, besides AsABat's water report (print it out NOW to see what '09 was like - AsABat
will 'erase' the individual source "reports" info (but not the individual locations) later on to prepare for posting next year's info)
and the PCT Atlas, is Yogi's PCT Handbook, <http://www.pcthandbook.com/>, specifically the "On The Trail" pages which
give info on many water sources during typical 'thru season' over a number of years on both quantity/quality of water...

Finally, in your planning - do NOT rely upon the water caches!  DO NOT rely upon the water caches!!

Have fun planning - then enjoy your hike!

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)

Support the Pacific Crest Trail Association and its mission:
Protect, preserve, and promote the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail...
Join, renew, or donate today: http://www.pcta.org/

"Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul."  - Edward Abbey