[pct-l] How much water????

Ellen Shopes igellen at comcast.net
Sun Sep 13 16:27:10 CDT 2009

I've been out hiking a section of the Arizona Trail this weekend, or I would
have responded sooner.

First, I have to echo the sage advice of some of the responders.  It's too
soon to know what the daily heat load will be or how much water will be
available.
Now, for a little 'primer' on humans and how they adapt to hot environments.
This will seem to contradict what some others have said, so here is a bit of
my background.  In my time at Grand Canyon, I organized/implemented a study
of heat illnesses that occurred each summer.  Many of the public education
programs and SAR practices at the canyon stem from these years.

1.  Heat illnesses (heat exhaustion, heat stroke, exercise-induced
hyponatremia, heat cramps) start to appear when daily high temperatures
reach 85 degrees.

2.  Heat adaptation.  Humans thermoregulate (maintain their body
temperature) in a hot environment by sweating.  Over the course of a week or
two, one does adapt to the heat, but does so by SWEATING MORE, not less.  As
part of the acclimitization process, the sweat will contain less sodium
(salt).  Since overall sweat production is more, total sodium losses are
probably about the same in heat-adapted and non-heat-adapted individuals.

3.  In a hot environment, average losses are about 1 liter per hour (of
exercise).  Obviously, losses are much less sitting in the shade.  This
explains how valuable it can be to sit out the hot parts of the day.  For
the record keepers in this group, the greatest sweat loss per hour (in a guy
on a treadmill working at maximum intensity in a heat/humidity controlled
room; he was wearing a specially designed suit that collected his sweat) was
2 liters.  It was felt by the researchers at the time that the runner would
not have been able to continue to work at that intensity for much longer.

4.  Dehydration affects performance.  Studies that have looked at
performance show that losses as small as 2% effect performance.  The sense
of thirst does not kick in until losses of 3-5%, so is not a reliable
indicator of when to drink.  I might also mention that a small but
appreciable number of hikers have been having problems with kidney stones
on-trail.  I suspect that the stones are forming in concentrated urine
during the hot sections of trail, then not becoming apparent until the
stones start their transit down the ureters to the bladder days and weeks
later.

5.  As others have mentioned, in the dry heat of the desert, one often feels
fairly comfortable--sweat doesn't soak the clothes (as much) as it does in
more humid environments, or drip off the head as much.  But the losses are
still accrued and need to be replaced.  Although it's not full-proof, one of
the best ways to know if you are drinking enough is to monitor your urine.
If it is yellow-tinged (not deep yellow, tea-colored, nor orange) you are
probably drinking enough.  You can test this by trying some hikes when the
temps are over 85, or on a treadmill somewhere where you can set the
thermostat at that level.  Although humidity will make the work less
comfortable, it will not have a significant impact on your losses.

A final word: when hiking in the heat of the desert, the heaviest thing in
your pack should be water!  Look for other ways to save weight.  Don't short
yourself on water; it could cost you your life!
Elderly Ellen
(OK I'll get off my soapbox now!)
(See you on the trail in 2010 with my ton of water!)