[pct-l] SuperSecrets of Backpacking

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Mon Sep 14 00:23:37 CDT 2009

Yes, once again your pal, Switchback, comes through for you.? I have mentioned this before, but it bares repeating.

1.? Use Velcro One-Wrap straps for holding all sorts of things, like your pad to your pack.? These come in 12 foot rolls and cost about $8.00 at Lowe's.? Get two.? They are super light and super strong.? They are very easy to use on the trail and in camp.? You cut them to any length you want.? Simple.

Idea: Cut some to about 2 feet and put them at two of your tent's stake out points.? Then use some large rocks instead of your titanium stake on hard ground.? Works great and saves you from having to kill yourself trying to get the stakes into hard ground.? The idea is that at night when toss around inside your tent, it does not wander off your pad or ground cloth.? Works like a champ.

2.? Go to Walmart and get some reflective tape in the auto section.? Use small pieces on your radio, hiking poles, pack, etc., so you do not lose them at night and are easier to find.? I put them on lots of camp gear.? Super light.? When you pack up in the morning and it is still dark, having reflective tape on gear is fantastic.

Plus, when you get near roads, the reflective tape makes you much safer in the dark when vehicles come upon you.

The Switch-a-Back