[pct-l] Oregon Sec C - Jack Spring?

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 20 11:41:31 CDT 2009

Deems wrote:

In early October, I may have a chance to hike from Hwy 140 to Hwy 62 on
Oregon Sec C. I'm curious if Jack Spring and Ranger Springs are reliable
water sources in October; each one is just south of Crater Lake NP boundary
and the Oregon desert.

When I went through there in the third weeks of August I got water from the
creek on the north side of Devil's Peak (the trail crosses it three times, I
think).  It was a pretty small creek but it didn't look like it totally
dried up very much.  Then I took the alternate route down to Stuart Falls
and got water in that area.  I didn't visit either Ranger or Jack Spring so
I don't know what condition they might be in.

The first 2.4 miles of the Stuart Falls alternate is a bit rough with quite
a few blowdowns and eroded trail, but once you hit the first creek it gets
much better and Stuart Falls was a really nice place to spend a lunch break.
It's an honest-to-goodness cascading falls with moss and everything.  Very
beautiful after the dryness everywhere else.

I think a lot of the thrus just got water from the creek below Devil's Peak
and then just motored straight through to Mazama Village.  It's a fairly
long stretch but easy walking.

Eric