[pct-l] Best gps iPhone app?

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Tue Sep 22 14:45:01 CDT 2009

A LOT of that depends on what you want to use it for:

	1) just get GPS coordinates
	2) show your location on a map (maybe have the map track with you)
		a) free maps of poor quality/detail
		b) free maps of better quality
		c) purchased maps of higher quality
		d) your own maps and routes
	3) record your route and other data as well as show your location on
the map
	4) download waypoints and routes (maybe maps)

Also, which iPhone?  3G or 3GS

On my iPhone 3GS, I have:  Trailguru, Trails, MotionX GPS, AccuTerra,
GPS Info - and Google Earth and the built-in Maps

Anything that tracks you constantly is going to give about 4 hours of
runtime, even less if you don't disable unused services like bluetooth
and wifi.  The phone can't go into "sleep" mode when tracking. The GPS
won't function in "Airplane" mode, so when you're outside of coverage,
the phone will constantly be searching for cell towers (lower battery
time).

Some apps have the ability to cache maps for an area: Trails, MotionX
GPS.  Trails will let you cache at different zoom levels.  I think
MotionX GPS only caches maps it's "seen", no matter the zoom level.

You can import tracks (100) or waypoints (300) into MotionX GPS and
tracks (or waypoints as a "track" of those waypoints, but that's
kludgy and may not get you want you want) into Trails.  Trails is very
geared to trails (tracks) and not so much locations (waypoints).

AccuTerra is pretty new and I haven't spent much time with it.  It is
pretty useless unless you buy the additional maps.  I haven't found an
easy way to import waypoints or tracks.  They have some pretty high
def maps but the HD ones have limited coverage and get pricey.  I'll
be buying a couple of maps and trying it out - but it's more about
maps and less about GPS, as an app.

GPS Info is free and just says "here's your coordinates and your
elevation and you speed".

So my feelings are:

for 	#1) GPS Info
	#2a) the built-in Maps app
	#2b) Trails (I also like it because it interacts with my Mac app
TrailRunner trailrunnerx.com)
	#2c) Probably AccuTerra, but it's a little early to tell; currently
Trails
	#2d) no such critter that I am aware of
	#3) very close between Trails and MotionX GPS, Trails probably gets
the nod on this one
	#4) your own maps?  no such critter, otherwise MotionX GPS comes
closest for tracks (100) and waypoints (300), but Trails has better
map caching.

All in all, the iPhone is a pretty mediocre GPS compared to a full
featured GPS like a Garmin.  Currently, I use mine on local hikes with
"Trails" and might use it on some longer trails, as a backup to a
compass, with "GPS Info" or to store waypoints with a possibility of
not having a cached map (so have a paper on in hand!), with "MotionX
GPS".  First, I have to do a test of battery life when no cell signal
is present AND another test to see the battery cost of shutdown and
boot up VS searching VS sleep in "Airplane" mode.

Trails is $3.99
MotionX GPS is $2.99
GPS Info is free
Trailguru is free
AccuTerra is $.99 but then additional maps go for $1.99 for SoCal and
$1.99 for NorCal1 and $1.99 for NorCal2 in std definition, OR is two
parts at $1.99 each and WA is two parts:  PCT = $1.99 X 7;  Some state
and national parks are available in HD for $2.99 a park.

BillB