[pct-l] The hazards of hiking alone

Carolyn Eddy ECPG at peoplepc.com
Mon Sep 28 00:11:11 CDT 2009

If you are willing to "rely on the kindness of strangers" hiking alone can
be great. You have the best possible company. Of course, in my case alone is
relative what with the dogs and goats in tow at any given trip.

I have only had one incident where it would have been handy to have someone
else along. I broke my ankle coming down onto the Herman Creek Trail near
Cascade Locks. COuld have spent a night sleeping on the bridge except for a
jogger who came by.

Just make sure you let people know you will be checking in and then stick to
your plans. I don't go out of camp without throwing a note in the tent as to
what direction I've wandered.

My husband is super understanding, fortunately.

"Sweet Goat Mama"
CarAlyn Eddy
www.goattracksmagazine.com