[pct-l] What camera to hike with?

Erik Turnberg erik.turnberg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 07:09:08 CDT 2009

I did the Long Trail and AT with a Canon A570 (7MP 6x optical zoom).  It's
been a nice camera.  It took great pictures (decent lens and CCD) and I
liked that it took AA batteries, which on the AT meant that any little store
or gas station carried my camera's battery.  My only complaint is that was a
little on the large and heavy side.  Well now it's dead and I'm hunting for
a new camera, which will come out on the trail with my fiancee and I this
spring.

What have people been using on thru hikes?  AA or propriatary lithium (if
lithium how do you handle recharging and resupply)?  Anyone using of of
Canon or Panasonic's (Lumix) compact wide angle cameras?

Thanks,

Granite