[pct-l] The hazards of hiking alone

Tom Bache tbache at san.rr.com
Mon Sep 28 10:54:46 CDT 2009

I'm a section hiker who has hiked 2000 PCT miles over the past 5 years. I
hiked with other people early on, but quickly learned that it is much better
to hike alone.  Some of the benefits are obvious -- no need to coordinate
schedules or to compromise on hiking pace and style.  But the biggest
benefit came as a surprise and delight.  Stated simply, other people are a
distraction, and the solo experience is much deeper and more intense.  When
alone, I hear, see, and smell elements of the natural world that would go
unnoticed in the presence of input from other human beings.  This includes
companions, of course, but it extends to all human-created input.  The trail
itself is a distraction from this perspective, but that's unavoidable if the
objective is to hike the PCT!  Digressing a moment, I encountered many miles
of snow-covered trail in Oregon early this summer, and noticed that the
intensity does go up when traveling with no signs of human activity --
interesting, but a very slow way to cover 2650 miles.

Almost everybody who hears about my solo hiking trips seems to think it is a
dangerous thing to do.  I usually respond that the hikes are orders of
magnitude less dangerous than the long drives I take to get to and from the
trail.  I sometimes point out that the odds of injury inflicted by nature
are millions of times less likely than the odds of injury inflicted by other
human beings, so it is safer on the PCT than in most cities.  In any case, I
have never felt any danger on the PCT, and I suspect that is true for most
hikers.

Tom Bache
San Diego