[pct-l] Pocket mail alternative

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 21:17:48 CDT 2009

The peek only searches for cell towers when it is on as it requests your
email only after you turn it on.  When it is off it is truely off - it
doesn't have to be on like a cell phone to get incoming calls.  It has an
airplane mode that shuts off the receiver and saves battery life - I used
this when I was out of service area and composing journal entries.   I found
that I could use it about a week before I had to charge it again.  I used it
about an hour a day for reading email, writing in my journal, and general
reading.  I carried a spare battery (they are $15) but only used it once.
With care you could do the whole PCT without a spare battery and I would not
take one if I do it again.
I used dailylit.com to send me chapters of a book that I read on the device
and used it to get the occasional weather report also.

Day-Late