[pct-l] The hazards of hiking alone

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 28 15:02:08 CDT 2009

Nathan

I have hiked alone for years, usually because of my schedule or concern about hiking with folks who hike slower or faster than I do.  Alone, I do not need concern myself with others hiking speed or style.  Alone I can stop when I want, rest as long as I want, get up as early as I want.  I also enjoy the peace and quite of being out there all by my self.  Ahhh the serenity!  There is little danger.  There are no street gangs out there.  Animals are more afraid of you than you need be of them.  Just don't cover your body with the smell of food, use a bare vault when needed and be careful when crossing a thin trail section on a steep slope.  Don't cross a fast moving body of water with you backpack belt fastened.  Be careful with fire.

Amanda