[pct-l] Rattlesnakes on the PCT

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 1 11:21:02 CDT 2010

Dave,

Last year I was walking directly behind Yogi Beer in the San Fillipe hills. We were in a steep uphill and I was leaning on my poles waiting for Yogi to pull a little further ahead, as I was walking a bit faster than him. As if in slow motion I saw a buzzworm lunge for, and strike Yogi's pole. Now, my friend Yogi has only one eye, and it wasn't on the right side. He did hear a quick buzz at the moment of attack and leaped into the air in reaction. It was quite a sight to see Yogi jump up two feet into the air with a 55lbs. pack on his back. After Yogi backed off, he looked at me with his one good eye, and with a sinister laugh said, "...almost got me, I felt it hit my pole!" He didn't have to tell me, I had just seen it.

I'm not a herpetologist but I remember reading that snakes use their tongue's to check air currents, ie. motion. I might be wrong. Maybe the snake sensed Yogi's heat signature and the motion of the pole drew his attention, as it was the closest portion of Yogi to him. I don't know, I just wanted to pass that along.

It's important to point out that--It was early, and the day was just beginning to warm, we were chatting loudly and surely not paying attention, and Yogi is handicapped.

It is not my intent to insight any fear by telling this story, just something that I observed. Like Piper, I think that most of our worries before hiking the trail quickly melt away once we are on the Trail. I've never felt as safe as I did on the trail. Sure, situations arise, that if not approached with a cool head, can be dangerous. That's life.

I will say that conversation was kept to a minimum for several hours. We were too focused on each bush that we passed. We did see two more buzzworms on the way to 3rd Gate. A few rocks were tossed in their direction, they moved on and so did we.

jason