[pct-l] deoderant

Dan Africk danstheman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 17:26:35 CDT 2010

I never use in my daily life, let alone on the trail. I find that if I get
sweaty and smelly, deodorant won't make a difference, and a shower and clean
clothes is the best way to get clean(I almost never use soap either, I find
that water alone works great, without removing my skins' protective oils).
If deodorant doesn't help in civilization, then it certainly won't help on
the trail, and as others mentioned, you'll just clog your pores and build up
a nasty coating on your skin. If you use an antiperspirant, then you're also
reducing your ability to sweat, and therefor your ability to cool yourself
in the desert, which seems like a bad idea to me.

I think your best bet to reduce smell on the trail is to take a 'bird bath'
with a wet bandanna when there is water available. If you carry a water
bladder of some sort, you can probably improvise a solar shower if you have
enough time and water.

Other hikers really won't notice or care how much you smell.