[pct-l] water straw; SODIS water disinfection

ruffwork ruffwork at ruffwork.com
Sat Apr 3 07:43:47 CDT 2010

First year section hiking I used chemicals (Micropur) and they worked OK but (1) the taste (so I had to carry Gatorade to help hide the flavor) and (2) had to wait for at least 1 hour before drinking (so I'd get to water and sit there at the stream several times milking my warm existing H20 waiting for my clod fresh H20 to finish treatment - NO fun).  Waiting was the thing that I could not stand.  Also sometimes the water sure didn't look good (taken from a mirky water source).

Second year I used straws (Aquamira Frontier and Frontier Pro) and they worked faster - so I never had to wait for water (sooo nice) but it always seemed I was not getting enough - and sometimes a few big gulps of water would have been nice!  As one hiker put it: with a straw you really have to WORK to get your water.  Nicer then chemicals for primary H2O but still not perfect (and you can't have ANY Gatorade).

This year I'm trying a pump: MSR HyperFlow.  I'll take a Aquamira Frontier and a pack of Micropur as backups).

ruffwork

The road goes ever on and on...