[pct-l] deodorant

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Apr 3 15:28:44 CDT 2010

Unsupported JMT Snow Bunny Reinhold writes: Alexandra, Bears are attracted to odors and they do not discriminate against cosmetics. You will be a favorite target. You might be better of sticking a moth ball into each ear(just kidding).  Bears do not like moth ball odor. The moth ball odor will overpower your body odor and even keep the moth away. Sleep tight, for you need not fear the bears tonight.
Switchback replies: This advice is so weak.  I am glad Kit Carson, John Muir, Norman Clyde, etc., are not around to hear this tripe.  "Oh, you should carry moth balls into the wilderness to protect yourself from the big bad bears and boogie men."  This is to laugh.  Oh, boo, hoo, hoo.  The moth ball toting U.S. Marine is afraid of bears, etc.  Nice.  Real nice.  Embarrassing for all us military warriors on this list.

What is the first thing Switchback does after setting up camp in the Sierras?  I go bear baiting.  I go out to find some bears to pick on.  I go into my Indian sleuth mold.  I carry my $300 monocular to make sure nothing escapes my gaze.  All you have to do is keep a clean campsite and cook away from it.  Simple.  If you have a bear canister and you hang everything else, you are home free.

By the way, you do not need anything more than the BearVault Solo even from Kennedy Meadows to VVR.  It is all so simple, but people make it so hard.  I see contests down at the Kickoff to see who can pack the most foods into the a big model BearVault.  I just walk away and don't make any comments or start trouble.

I purposely place my SMALL bear canister so I can see it from my campspot.  That way I can attack any bears that try to mess with it.  I keep an assortment of rocks close by just for that.  My bear spray is nearby too.  :-)