[pct-l] nerve problems in feet/bigger size shoe needed

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 22:26:30 CDT 2010

The problem may be chronic compartment syndrome.  This is a condition where
the sheath covering a muscle, such as the anterior tibialis which is
responsible for anterior shin splints, loses it's elasticity.   The muscle
expands during exertion and this contracts on the nerves leading to symptoms
in the feet.  If the symptoms resolve with the end of exertion that is a
strong indicator that this may be chronic compartment syndrome.  There is a
test for this which involves inserting a probe ( after anesthetic ) into the
muscle and then exerting oneself on a treadmill.  When the symptoms begin or
increase the probe senses whether there has been an increase in pressure
which will tell the tale.

There are excellent articles available as to the purpose of inflammation on
line.  Basically, there is a question as to whether it is a good idea to
inhibit the inflammatory process as this will delay and interfere with
healing.  This becomes a more significant issue the more serious the damage
that has prompted the inflammatory response.