[pct-l] Payment Options - Debit Cards

Paul Moore pab_lo49 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 4 11:55:28 CDT 2010

Once again drawing on the wisdom and experience of previous thru-hikers, how have debit cards worked out as a preferred payment option. Have there been establishments along the way which did not accept debit cards or put an unrealistically high minimum purchase amount on a debit purchase?. I plan on taking some cash, a credit card and a debit card. In general what proportion of your purchases have been made with each option: what percent cash, what percent credit card and what percent debit card?

The downside of taking *a lot* of cash is that it is bulky and represents a loss/theft risk. And resupplying your cash along the way can run up a fair amount of ATM fees. The downside to credit card purchases, IMO, is having to pay the monthly bill - timing finding a public computer with the due date of the bill to transfer funds. I really can't see a downside to debit cards, other than not over-drawing your account. Thanks in advance for the feedback.