[pct-l] nerve problems in feet/bigger size shoe needed

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Apr 5 08:28:35 CDT 2010

I think it was/is overly supportive shoes that have caused the
problem for me. Since I have been home I have been wearing mostly
very simple shoes walking to work. I made the mistake (yet again) of
wearing stiff hiking shoes on a few recent hikes and it was horribly
painful. My feet hurt less the simpler the shoes are.

Recently I bought some Feelmax shoes, which are pretty much like
moccasins but they look like shoes. I wore them as well as some $40
running shoes backpacking. The cheap sneakers felt better than any
motion control, insole-plagued shoe I've ever used. The Feelmax shoes
were extraordinary. I could feel the ground under my feet. I've
always thought it was the shoes that performed, but in reality it is
my feet that do the walking. My feet are sore now from wearing the
Feelmax shoes (for about 7 miles!) but it's a different sore. There
are a lot of muscles that never get used wearing shoes with arch
support and a big heel. The Feelmax shoes forced my feet to use these
muscles.

Just like it made sense when Ray Jardine said to get strong ankles
wearing low-cut shoes instead of propping them up in big boots, I'm
going to build strong feet wearing moccasin-like shoes. I'm not
hiking the PCT (maybe dayhiking a few times) and not advocating
moccasins (or VFFs or whatever other minimal shoes) for the PCT (that
is your choice to make). But I do think this might actually help me.

I don't think I was born broken. Just made that way by walking too
far in shoes that caused damage because they are not shaped like my
feet. The podiatrist tells you that your metatarsals are unusually
long and you have a gait problem. Having long bones should not be a
medical issue unless they simply don't fit a product made on an
assembly line. And what caused the gait problem? Those same products
that don't fit the shape of your foot? I don't know but it seems to
be the case for me.

Diane