[pct-l] snowshoeing the PCT

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Apr 6 02:27:54 CDT 2010

I had continuous snow from the time I arrived on the Kern Plateau all the way to Lassen. From there I had snow off and on all the way to the middle of Washington. Half of the time in the month of July in Oregon I was on snow and did not see the trail. I did not see any one else on the trail until I finally ran into the trail crew near Rainy Pass. (For that matter, I only saw one thru hiker the entire summer and that was in the first week somewhere near Lake Hemet.

On the CDT, I did not see the trail throughout Colorado until it became patchy somewhere between Rocky Mtn. NP and Steamboat Springs. I did not see nor hear of any thrus on the Divide that summer.

You get used to the snow and begin to really like it. No bugs, no dirt, no bears. Hike without your snowshoes in the morning and put them on in the afternoon when the postholing starts (when the snow turns to soup).

I have snowshoed the Sierras, skied the JMT, and used boots over the snow as well and snowshoes allow me to keep going when others are posting and getting hurt.

Our advice, go out in the snow and make up your own mind. Pick a hot day (not too many this spring!) and see what postholing is all about (pain, frustration, and slow-going), then decide whether you want to avoid it by using snowshoes or timing your days to be out of the snow and below snowline after lunch. Please read our thoughts on this subject at http://postholer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=744 and  http://postholer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=727

Take other people's advice by listening and making mental notes, then go try it out for yourself on a test hike.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
P.O. Box 1477
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96156