[pct-l] PCT Hiking in '65

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Apr 7 14:21:42 CDT 2010

Good afternoon, all,

Recently it’s been cool, damp, and windy here in the Pacific NW, and I’ve
been pouting because I’m not attending the Kick-Off, so to take my mind off
the gloom I revisited some of my older PCT reference books.  One that I
hadn’t thought about in years is, *Home In Your Pack*, by Bradford Angier
circa 1965.  From the ‘50s on I’ve enjoyed Angier’s books on self-reliant
wilderness living and survival, but this was his first book on backpacking.
 I was impressed with this book in ’65 – that also the year I became serious
about hiking -- so I thought I’d see how well some of his ideas hold up
today.

His focus at the time was on hiking four significant trails:  The Long
Trail, California Riding and Hiking Trail, the Appalachian Trail, and
Pacific Crest Trail; particularly the two big ones.  The PCT didn’t yet
exist as a “National Scenic Trail”, but it certainly existed as a hiking
trail system.  The book says the PCT – at the time -- was 2,156 miles long,
and the minimal map included shows the old routing from the area of Mt.
Shasta straight north to the S. end of the Cascades rather than the current
zig west through the Marbles, etc. and back east again near Ashland.  In
this there were no surprises considering the era.

Angier discusses a variety of options in hiking gear and methods --
including many of the traditional, old-time methods -- but there were a few
surprising comments that predate the lite-weight hiking craze that
supposedly began 30 years later in the mid’90s.  For example, quoting
Angier:

“*Hiking in Canvas Sneakers*  -  Ordinary rubber-soled sneakers and
basketball shoes are popular along fairly smooth wilderness ways, such as
the Appalachian Trail and in comparatively dry country such as that found
along stretches of the Sierra Trail…. The chief advantage afforded by such
footwear is that of lightness, which is a joy…. They are not durable.  A
hundred miles over tough terrain is about the limit for most. But they are
comparatively cheap.  Sneakers soon wet through in the rain, even in the
morning dew.  But this makes no particular difference, for they dry out
quickly and without becoming stiff.”

Those statements above are understandable considering running shoes, as we
know them today, had not yet become commonly available.

“*The Eiderdown Jacket*  -- A light eiderdown jacket is one of the most
comfortable garments I know to put on when you stop …. for the night.  These
are even handy on the desert, as most desert country gets surprisingly cold
as soon as the sun sinks.”

*“You Don’t Always Need a Tent*…. Tentless camping, particularly if you
include some provision for emergency shelter in your outfit, is also
practical…. And no wilderness nights are more memorable, in good weather,
than those spent entirely in the open.”

And now for the most interesting comment; and remember this was published in
’65:

“*Appropriate Backpack Weights*….  For backpacking, everything should be cut
down in weight and bulk to the absolute essentials…. Briefly, the total
weight of the backpack for mountain travel should not exceed about
thirty-five pounds…. As for proportions, the equipment proper in the largest
pack should not weigh over fifteen pounds – thus allowing a food load of at
least twenty pounds.”

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09