[pct-l] Hiking the PCT in the 60's

hetchhetchyman at aol.com hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Thu Apr 8 10:32:50 CDT 2010

From: CHUCK CHELIN <steeleye at wildblue.net>
Subject: [pct-l] PCT Hiking in '65
To: Pct-l at backcountry.net

Good afternoon, all,

Recently it?s been cool, damp, and windy here in the Pacific NW, and I?ve
been pouting because I?m not attending the Kick-Off, so to take my mind off
the gloom I revisited some of my older PCT reference books.  One that I
hadn?t thought about in years is, *Home In Your Pack*, by Bradford Angier

Good Morning SteelEye,
I too am a big fan of Bradford Angiers books. His advice never seems dated. One piece of his advice has always served me well over the years, even while hiking the PCT last year.
"The ability to build a campfire swiftly and with certainty in every type of weather that may one day beset us can,at a decisive moment, also mean the difference between existence and finality; and the way to aquire such skill is a bit at a time over as long a period as possible, using on each occasion only whatever natural materials may be at hand.
>From this stems the principal objection, and as I think you'll agree a grave one, against getting in the habit of un-necessarily cutting corners with any of the fire kindlers that are on the market. For there may come a blusterous winter night when the trees are bent with sleet, and the individual up against it may very well not have a chemical tablet to ignite instead of the bark and shavings to which, although they have always been availiable as they are now, he has not become accustomed."- Bradford Angier -How to Stay Alive in the Woods
As thru hikers we rarely have the time or need to kindle fires. In fact in many places on the trail it is no doubt destructive to the enviroment to gather and burn wood. However, as human beings we must accept our limitations and the fact that at times, despite our best efforts, we may become overwhelmed by the environment. Last year we had sleet and hail for much of our southern crossing of the Sierra. Despite what I told myself about NOT making fire, I in fact did so (in established rings) on a number of occasions to insure the survival of myself and my companion. Yes, some blame could be put upon our choices of ultralight gear and willingness to enter the wilderness under those conditions.
The point being your survival could depend on skills you never would ordinarily consider neccesary. Bradford Angier's writing taught me that most valuable lesson, and it has served me well over the years. I am glad you brought up this topic SteelEye. It highlights the fact that just because a book is old it does not mean the infromation contained within is dated.
-Iceaxe