[pct-l] Barrel Spring (mi 101) still contaminated

Eugene atetuna at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 9 09:37:54 CDT 2010

Asabat,

I certainly appreciate the work you do to maintain the water report, but I don't understand how oak leaves may be considered worse than dead rodents, especially when the source is likely to fill with rodents unless someone gets in there to fish them out.  Granted, the oak leaves may have caused hikers to contaminate the source, but the source is now contaminated year round.  I'm even more confused when the report currently warns about contaminating the source by washing themselves in it when there are already dead rodents in it.  I'd hate to think that we're arguing about this, but rather that we're sharing information.  Anyone else can decide what to do on their own, as they should.  Laurence the Spring Guy gave us a thorough update to the water report.  He was also so concerned about the Barrel Spring water resource that he frequently offered to drive back there to pull out one of the dead rodents and take a picture with it.  We have those pictures if there's any doubt about this. Laurence said there are many more rodents in there now.  I've visited with Laurence several times over the past few days and my gut tells me that I should side with him on this particular issue. Regardless of the reports concerning any water source, I chemically treat and filter all water that doesn't come out of a tap, and I'll sometimes I'll purify that water too....because sometimes things change quickly, like when the earthquake muddied up all the tap water at Warner Springs Resort.  Again, I appreciate the work you've been doing and are planning on doing.  Every hiker I've seen on the trail this year is carrying your water report.  Even those that didn't have one initially wanted and received one.  It's a great resource.  We just have a little disagreement on one matter.  Anyway, I previously told you I'd send you some updates.  Trail life got ahead of me.  I'm now back at home to recuperate a swollen ankle, so I have time to write up the update while waiting to get back out on the trail.

Btw, some of the writing may be replaced by signs in the near future.  A work in progress.  Also, Laurence has placed a hose on Tule Spring to make it easier to wash up there.  Nice clear water there, although Freebird had to run the water for a little while to get rid of rust that accumulated in the pipes over the winter.  The Guzzler has clear water despite the appearance of the surface.  That water resource collects rainfall that falls directly on that concrete slab, and of course collects nasty looking pollen too.  Laurence found that the water in the middle layer of water was clear, so he installed a hand pump to allow us to easily collect water from that clean layer.  I've been drinking water from both sources.  There are many more updates, but those are two things I was really thankful for....at least concerning water...Laurence has done many more things for us that I'll try to write about in my journal.

Sir Mix-a-lot