[pct-l] Hiking the PCT in the 60's

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Apr 9 10:44:51 CDT 2010

Good morning, Deems,

Your last post with comments about the Rock Mountain fir trade era renewed
my interest in the same topic. Those characters went to the mountains
typically for several years at a time, and their only gear resupply was
during rare visits to a trading post or to the annual summer gathering.  The
remainder of the year they were on their own, so I wondered how their gear
compared to what we use today on our wilderness travels.  Not very well at
all, as it turns out.

Below is a prototypical list of the items a scout or mountain-man was likely
to carry, excluding the inevitable beaver traps.  The list was compiled from
sources such as *Firearms, Traps, & Tools Of The Mountain Men* by Carl P.
Russell, and *Rocky Mountain Fur Trapper’s Guide* by Djaugh Phydeaux:

1.         Rifle or gun, usually flintlock

2.         Pistol, usually flintlock

3.         Butcher knife with sheath

4.         Tomahawk

5.         Powder horn with strap, including:

6.                     Priming horn

7.                     Horn powder measure

8.                     Flash-hole pick

9.                     Patch knife

10.       Hunting, or “possibles” bag with strap, including:

11.                   Ball and shot

12.                   Bullet mould(s)

13.                   Lead bars

14.                   Patches/patching material

15.                   Flints or caps

16.                   All-purpose tool, flinter/nipple wrench

17.                   Gun worm

18.                   Spare lock parts

19.                Fire starter box with flint, fire steel and tinder

20.                Bear grease for patches and gun lube, in a fish bladder

21.                Awl

22.                Sinew/thread

23.       Hat

24.       Buckskin shirt

25.       Buckskin leggings

26.       Belt

27.       Breechcloth

28.       Moccasins, maybe 5 pair

29.       Buffalo robe or HBC blankets

Notice that there was no shelter other than that of Item-29.  There was no
provision for carrying water; canteens being a rather rare commodity in
those days.  Since they weren’t vegetarians, the 10-12 lb. rifle constituted
their entire resupply strategy, and much of the remaining list was composed
of items related to the care-and-feeding of that rifle.  I suppose I would
log the pistol as “pest control”.

There were few/no trails at the time, and no maps.  They most often were
mounted on a horse or mule, and led a pack animal.  If you’ve ever tried to
carry a buffalo robe you’ll probably understand why walking wasn’t popular.
Anyway, they wandered all over western North America for years, in all
weather, with just that equipment.

By the way, I believe the name “Djaugh Phydeaux” is a *nom de plume*; a
fanciful Frenchized version of “Dog Fido”.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09