[pct-l] Swarthout Canyon

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Fri Apr 9 12:01:27 CDT 2010

> ...where will the hikers be "re-routed" to this season?

There is no detailed description of a temporary reroute provided as yet - only a simplified
"Through hikers can use State Route 138 as an alternate." - as seen on
<http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/conditions/index.shtml> (scroll down to "Front Country
Ranger District"...  At the moment the 'reroute' appears to be Hwy. 138, then Hwy. 2 to
Wrightwood...  Whether the SBNF authorities and the PCTA can agree upon another viable
temporary route is still undetermined - but the PCTA is still working on it!

Digging through the SBNF Forest Orders the latest one regarding the Sheep Fire area (10-1)
states "This order is effective...through October 10, 2010." - so for the time being, it
seems the PCT will be closed from I-15 to the western SBNF boundary for the 2010 season.
See <http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/about/forder1001.shtml> and a slightly better map
at <http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/documents/forder1001_closure_map.pdf>...
Hopefully the SBNF will, at the minimum, open the short stretch (~ 1/2 mile) of PCT from the
Acorn Trail to the western SBNF boundary - then thrus could be back 'on-trail' again until
Islip Saddle in Angeles NF, the next closure area (Station Fire)...  Many are also awaiting
word about the Station Fire reroute - the PCTA is working on that, too...

The thrus will make it to Wrightwood - it has a good reputation as being very hiker friendly,
especially because of the trail angels in the area such as yourself (Thank you!!)...   ;-)

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)