[pct-l] Swarthout Canyon

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Fri Apr 9 13:33:46 CDT 2010

Sorry if I unintentionally helped promote the highway being an alternate route - I personally don't think ANY highway route is a viable and safe alternative for the trail...
It seems to have become the bureaucratic "easy out" to close off entire areas because it is "too dangerous" for the public, yet not give any alternative that is more safe (in this case, the highway is probably much more dangerous than the fire area itself!) - this "easy out" MO has been readily apparent the last few years regarding many closures along the PCT...

The PCTA, & Nitro specifically, is diligently working to come to some agreement regarding SoCal closure areas - unfortunately much of the 'groundwork' to finalize alternatives for those areas can't be done yet due to snow cover...
Keep checking the PCTA website's "Trail Conditions" - that's probably where the first and most accurate info regarding alternate routes for the closure areas will appear...

Jim (PITA)