[pct-l] Class of 2010 - Fuel Canisters, Agua Dulce

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 22:33:33 CDT 2010

Donna,

On my PCT ride from Mexico to Canada I mostly used the Snow Peak "Giga Power" canasters. I had started out using the Jetboil brand and then switched from Agua Dulce north. From A. Dulce I had gone to REI to buy more and was advised by the salesperson that the Snow Peak canisters were the same - just lower in cost. It does not really matter which brand Trish would stock - more important is which can be bought at the best price.

Before deciding on a stove for my journey I did a lot of research. For safety reasons I did not want to carry liquid fuels - and alcohol flames are virtually invisable. My research indicated that the Jetboil stove rated very high in fuel efficency (REI tests on how long it takes, and how much fuel it takes, for different stoves to bring an equal amount of water to a boil). For my five and one-half months on the trail I was very happy with my Jetboil because of it's reliability and easy lighting feature - you just turn on the gas and push a button. I found it to be trouble free.

My entire cook kit measures 7" in diameter and is slightly over 4" high. It weighs 1.2 pounds.  This includes the stove and Jetboil 1 litre insulated pot, my old 1 pint Cascade cup, the supplied Jetboil dish, and Jetboil fork and spoon, and my thick 4-ply aluminum foil wind shield. The wind shield is well worth bringing as it reduces cooking time and therefore saves fuel on those windy days.

The fuel cannisters come in two sizes. The larger holds 7.76 oz. of fuel and weighs 13 oz. The smaller holds 3.88 oz of fuel and weighs 7 oz. Since I rode a horse, I mostly lived on the trail rather than hitching into towns as the hikers do. I would leave my horse in good care and drive my rig ahead and cache (buried and well camouflaged) my resupplies - my food and my horse's food, and my fuel canisters, at road crossings and near PCT trailheads. I would then hitch back to my horse. Sometimes I would be lucky and get a ride offered by an Angel. I cooked my meals, breakfasts and dinners. and found that the larger fuel canisters would last 6 to 7 days. I always also brought a smaller canister as a back-up but can remember only needing to use it once.
MendoRider/Ed Anderson