[pct-l] Hypothermia (was "Earthquake!")

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 02:53:59 CDT 2010

Dear Eugene

Thanks very much for your serious post. I am enjoying PCT-L, and my
understanding of the culture of American hiker  becomes deep. I read
your description several times,  I think I can understand your
situation.

It is a wise way to bail at Warner Springs, if you have a stamina.

It is a rule to eat the carbohydrate continually, even in rain. You
had violated this rule.

The rain suit is one of the ideal protection for the bad weather.  If
you sweat much, wear rain suit on the undergarment, without  middle
layers.  I always wear a rain suit on T-shirt and shorts even in the
freezing temperature. The middle layer is for emergency use.

The umbrella is not recommended, because it breaks easily when wind blows.

Best way is to set up tent, and remain until weather becomes fine. I
think you have not a strong tent.

http://picasaweb.google.co.jp/CompleteWalker/Yakushima2010#5454978169517788770
This was not a serious case. I had reading a book and waited for fine
weather to take photos. In this day, the temperature was 23°F,and
very strong wind blew.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20090718a4.html
Late last summer in Japan, six people died of  hypothermia. In this
case,  the miss judgement of tour leaders caused 6 to death.  They
should remain in the shelter hut, but they started to hike and died.
When storm came, we are always taught to remain in the secure place or
to set up tent immediately. But,  many peoples die of hypothermia in
Japan, since the weather changes suddenly and violently.

It is a very good thing that the mortality rate of the hiker in the
United States is very low.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami )