[pct-l] Forbes Saddle, Trail 3E22

Jim Banks jbanks4 at socal.rr.com
Sat Apr 10 13:18:08 CDT 2010

Trail 3E22 is the Spitler Peak trail.  You can take Spitler Peak trail where
it intersects the PCT and it will take you down to the Apple Canyon Road.
Apple Canyon Road is not a particularly dangerous road walk, not too much
traffic, but it leads you to Highway 74 which is dangerous.  There are some
dirt roads that go north from the Spitler Peak trailhead parking area that
you could walk to get to Idyllwild, but they cross private property with
locked gates and no trespassing signs, and it would be a long hike.  If you
need to use Spitler Peak trail to bail out, I think the best thing to do
would be to hike down Apple Canyon Road to where it meets Highway 74.  There
are a couple of campgrounds where the roads meet (Apple Canyon campground
and Herkey Creek campground) and you might be able to hitch into Idyllwild
from there.

I-Beam