[pct-l] Fw: Re: Forbes Saddle, Trail 3E22/don't try it

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 10 14:00:10 CDT 2010

Jim,
I'm not positive but I think the hiker who wanted to "walk the distance" was Razor. He walked from the intersection of Fobes Ranch Road and Highway 74 then went up road 243 to Idlewild. ROAD 243 was the dangerous part. The two hikers that I dropped off at Idlewild were Ginny and Rockstar.
You might find the following story of what happened interesting:  After dropping me off at the Mexican border my wife dropped off my rig at Bob Smith's ranch (preplanned) located at the end of Fobes Ranch Road below Fobes Saddle. Because of deep snow conditions on parts of the trail past Mt San J. and on Fuller Ridge, I had decided to trailer around that part of the PCT. I was not even able to reach Fobes Saddle because of a very large down tree, and no way to get around it. It was too big for me to cut and I could cut, with patience, a tree up to about 18". - so, I first tried riding up to the ridge - about 600' up. A trail from there would lead back down to the PCT. But, it was totally impassable due to a large rockslide. I then decended and went west to Tunnel Spring where I found Rockstar. Then I rode up the very steep spur trail to the PCT. There, once again, it was blocked by many more down trees. Rockstar and Ginny had already decided to bail
 out at Fobes Saddle so I gave my keys to them - I would try to bail out down Morris Ranch Road and they would pick me and Primo up at the intersection of that road and Hwy. 74. If I could not get there the backup plan was to meet at the Paradice Cafe. As it turned out I did reach Hwy. 74 and camped on its shoulder ( and at the Fire Station there I learned that the PCT was closed north of F. Saddle because of the fire started by a careless smoker who was hiking the PCT) When Rockstar and Ginny did'nt show up by morning I rode Hwy 74 to Fobes Ranch Road and up to the Ranch. They arrived shortly after. On the way down to 74 we picked up Razor and then dropped him off at 74. A delightful surprize was when Laurence the Spring Guy (a volunteer who cleans out springs in So. Calif.) showed up just before we reached Hwy. 74. He had one of those delicious, and famous, apple-berry pies. The five of us shared it. Then the hiker walked north and I dropped off the
 other two for a couple of "0" days in Idlewild.