[pct-l] Cougar

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 10 23:37:47 CDT 2010

> While I would have to agree with you, having had seen a
> small mountain lion south of Idyllwild yesterday night, I'd
> much rather not see a cougar at all.  Yes, I do realize
> I'm lucky to see a mountain lion around these parts, but I'd
> rather not be so fortunate...especially when I have the
> insecurity of sleeping in a bivy.

So far, my only cougar encounter was at Mt. Ashland Campground.  It was after dark and I had just arrived at the CG with the help of my headlamp.  I saw its retinas reflected in the beam maybe 5 meters from me.  I hung my food, set up my Rainbow, but had no trouble at all.  I continued to see cougar scat off and on all the way to Seiad Valley, most of it old, one appearing having been laid only a few hours earlier.

>With my "luck", I'll
> probably see a lot of bears this year...I may find that Big
> Bear is very appropriately named.

I nearly ran into one at Donomore Meadows.  I came around the bend, and there he was, ambling nonchalantly on an intercept course, completely oblivious of my presence.  A few minutes later, he looked up, saw me, and before I could think, "Oh, crap, he's seen me," he turned around and ran the other way, his feet thumping conspicuously on the ground.  While I was initially alarmed, in hindsight, it was pretty cool.

-Nate the Trail Zombie