[pct-l] Billy Goat's lost poles

Cosmic Cat cosmic.cat144 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 10:13:49 CDT 2010

Another Fuller Ridge story:

In 2006, I left my tarp at the top of fuller ridge. Who knows how?

The important thing was that I didn't realize this until I was about ten
miles and 4000 feet down the trail. I stopped and quickly calculated its
value. It had cost ~$100 and was a few years old. Its value was reduced as
it was early June and I probably wouldn't need it for the rest of SoCal. Its
value was further reduced by the thousands of uphill feet I would have had
to hike to get back to it. Further reduction due to the midday heat.

I didn't go back for it, and hiked without shelter until Kennedy Meadows. I
actually think that I would have been secretly annoyed if someone had picked
it up and carried it to me. A pound of weight and a fair amount of bulk had
just magically disappeared from my pack! Hopefully somebody picked it up and
put it to good use. None of the thrus behind me did, though! They didn't
want to carry the extra weight, and I don't blame them.

Ironically, I got rained on exactly once. On the very day I got to KM (and
my new shelter), an early morning thunderstorm got me up and walking before
it was light out.

Goodness