[pct-l] why close the burn areas?

Bill Hay hikerhay at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 19:06:34 CDT 2010

Land management agencies close trails after a burn because of liability.  As
discussed in the earlier emails, fires create unsafe conditions for all who
enter the area until crews fell the hazard trees.  Trained crews know how to
identify these hazards and can cut those trees that endanger hikers.  The
government also insures them in case of accidents.

If the land management agency allows hikers on a trail through a burnt area
prior to mitigating the hazards, those hikers can sue and potentially win a
large settlement (not a good way to spend our tax dollars).  So agencies
close the burned area until they can get crews or contractors into the area
to cut the hazard trees.
Bill Hay