[pct-l] Flotsam and Jetsam

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Mon Apr 12 23:55:04 CDT 2010

It's interesting the views on this subject here. On some other lists I
follow, fellow hikers have actually made a special trip to retrieve gear
others had to leave behind.

One one winter trip up San Gorgonio, I came across a complete abandoned
camp, tent, pack, sleeping bag, stove, everything. I figured it had to do
with the rescue operation underway, but if I had known SAR didn't have plans
to remove the equipment for the owner/victim, I would have hauled out what I
could myself for them.

On a different tone, there was a case on another mountain of a complete
campsite being found with a dead camper inside. Now you have a scene that
needs to be preserved for evidence (turns out no crime involved) and
surviving family to consider. I wouldn't want to have messed with that one,
but I'm glad the family was able to get closure.

AsABat