[pct-l] Flotsam and jetsam

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 12:52:07 CDT 2010

How true.

It all comes down to intent.   First, the intent of the original owner.  Did
the owner intend to abandon the object:

Boots at bottom of an (to owner) inaccessible ravine:  Ownership yielded.

One boot lost on trail and its mate discarded further on:  Ownership
yielded.

Both likely entailed a calculation as to risk/reward, both economic and
physical effort/risk.  The value of the boot(s) on and off trail as to
whether the effort/risk required to recover them was worthwhile to the
owner.   A boot 3,000 feet further up San Jacinto peak, when you already
have optional footwear, has different value calculation than when it shows
up in Big Bear and is on another hikers foot 10 feet away.  By then it's too
late.  the act of casting aside the other boot after the faucet shows the
intent to abandon the pair.

If there was no real abandonment, but a cache, even an unsigned one, the
question becomes whether the owners intent could be determined/ was obvious
to others.  That is, not left by side of trail, but off trail and concealed,
or perhaps marked by a duck.  If not, the failure of the original owner to
make this clear, and creating the perception on the part of others that he
intended to abandon, and the other acts on that perception,  then the finder
has a valid claim.

When push comes to shove, the original owners explanation of intent should
carry the day, in my opinion.

The country as a whole seems to be increasingly ruled by an ends justifies
the means approach.  Forget moral compass or the rule of law.  If I can get
what I want then how I get there doesn't matter.  Thankfully, the trail, and
the altruism which it inspires, can provide both a refuge and a lesson for
all who tread it's path.   In the end, behavior governed by concern for the
welfare of others, rather than outside constraints or fear of reputation is
the true measure.