[pct-l] Mt. Whitney Permit

Brian Reily breily at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 01:28:26 CDT 2010

So I'm confused about the permits for Mt. Whitney, and can't seem to find
the answer in the archives or elsewhere.

When I sent in for my thru-hike permit, I didn't ask for a Whitney permit
because it sounded like it was only if you were coming from the east,
through Whitney Portal.  Since then some things I've read seem to indicate
that you need a permit regardless (i.e. coming from the PCT in the west).

This is surely pretty simple, but I'm stumped - can anyone fill me in?
Thanks in advance.