[pct-l] The Herd is spreading out?

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 15 09:42:40 CDT 2010

Hi Iceaxe,

This year I believe hikers are more evenly distributed.  You can see the results at HikeThru.com, here is the direct link which compares the 2009 to the predicted 2010 season. http://pocketpct.com/about-the-pct/pct-hiker-migration

There is an amplification effect caused when hikers spend time at a specific place.  If you have hikers spaced every hour (or 2.5 miles along the PCT) each hiker feels like they are alone.  But if those hikes stop in town for a night off then there will be 24 hikers in town for the first day.  If they take two nights off then there will be 48 hikers.  Because most hikers take two nights off at the Saufley's this amplification effect is observed in Agua Dulce.  I believe this is what you observed in your last hike.

Paul

Last year I picked my start date.. april 17th due to it's proximity to my birthday.