[pct-l] Just an observation

William A. Chavez wctrekker at dslextreme.com
Fri Apr 16 09:57:09 CDT 2010

I was in Wawona (about 4,000'), Yosemite NP, earlier this week.  A
weather system moved through on Monday afternoon 4/12 and dropped
about 6-8(?) inches of snow.  The entire area from the park entry
gate, the south entrance, to beyond the Glacier Point/Badger Pass road
(7200') was a "winter wonderland."  By Tuesday afternoon all of the
snow save a few patches at the lower elevation was gone.  We were
amazed as to how fast and completely the snow melted at the lower
elevation.

I took a day hike, Mariposa Grove(5,000'?), and had a very difficult
time negotiating the trail(mostly level) terrain(my left arm is still
in a sling).  It gave me a little insight as to how difficult it
would be to have to traverse miles of snow covered trails and passes.

Bill