[pct-l] Subject: Another Datapoint for SOBO-ers

Nikii Murtaugh boundforadventure at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 23:39:32 CDT 2010

Here's what I know about Rainy Pass.

The first time I rode over  Rainy Pass on my bicycle and rainy.  I remember
that my feel were in zip baggies and looking down at them I saw puddles of
water, yet my feel were dry.  This was in 1993.   It was COLD.  We were
huddled in a van at the SAG stop.
1994 - It was HOT - so hot, most of us didn't stop, unless we needed water.
In fact, we were stopping along the way up Washington Pass dipping our
jerseys or scarves into the snow melt to cool ourselves off.  I even begged
water off motor homes at the summit.
1995 - it was overcast, but in general in the 70's.  This was mid-June.

WSDOT announced that the North Cascades Hwy will reopen April 16 at noon.?
The trail crosses the North Cascades Highway at Rainy Pass.

How does this compare to historical?

The average opening date over the last:
10 Years:? April 15
20 Years:? April 16
30 Years:? April 16

In other words, this year is incredibly average.

Compare to 2005, the very low snow year in Washington, when the highway was
reopened March 10, then temporarily closed due to a late storm from 3/26 to
4/4.

Source data:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/northcascades

?YMMV, 2 cents, HYOH, yadda, yadda, yadda.......